The Alan Coates Award for Excellence in Clinical Trials Research
Professor Alan Coates AM is one of the founding members of Breast Cancer Trials (BCT), Visiting Scientist at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and Clinical Professor in the School of Public Health at the University of Sydney. Professor Coates was Chief Executive Officer of Cancer Council Australia from 1998 to 2006 and President of the Clinical Oncological Society of Australia in 1994 and 1995. He is the Co-Chair of the Scientific Committee of the International Breast Cancer Study Group and a foundation member of BCT Board of Directors. He was the first Chair of BCT’s Scientific Advisory Committee from its formal establishment in 1985 to 2005. In 2002 he was honoured by the Order of Australia when he was awarded an AM for ‘service to medicine in the field of oncology, particularly through breast cancer research’.
The Alan Coates Award for Excellence in Clinical Trials Research recognises an individual member of BCT who has made an outstanding contribution to BCT’s clinical trials research program and aims to assist the recipient in their professional development. The recipient will be recognised for the quality of their scientific contributions and will receive a travel grant to attend BCT’s Annual Scientific Meeting (ASM) and a financial contribution of up to $10,000 towards their professional development activities.
- The Award is offered annually and if awarded, presented at the ASM. The award will be made at the discretion of the Board.
- The Award will be presented to an individual, not an institution or organisation.
- The award is open to Full Members of BCT who have made a significant contribution to the BCT’s clinical trials research program. The member’s contribution can involve any activity or profession that has enhanced the research program.
- Nominees must be Full Members of BCT.
- The cost of attending the 2022 BCT ASM including return economy class airfares, accommodation for the duration of the ASM and full registration. All travel and registration for the successful applicant will be organised through BCT.
- A financial contribution up to $10,000 towards the recipient’s professional development activities. These monies will be facilitated by BCT.
- The Alan Coates Award for Excellence in Clinical Trials Research recipient is expected to be available and participate in all ASM activities.
- Within 90 days of receiving the award at the ASM, the Alan Coates Award for Excellence in Clinical Trials Research recipient must provide a detailed account of how they intend to use the award to enhance their professional development.
- Within 12 months of receiving the award, the recipient will provide a report to BCT upon completion of their professional development activities, detailing their experience and how it has enhanced their career.
Selection of the award recipient will be made based on the abilities and experience of the candidate. This will be evaluated from the nomination form and supporting statement.
- A nomination form must be completed online and submitted by midnight 26 May 2022.
- Nominations will include a CV and a supporting statement from the Nominator/Referee. The Nominator/Referee must be a Full Member of BCT.
- Nominations are considered by the BCT Awards Committee and awarded at the discretion of BCT Board of Directors.